CPD – Continuing Professional Development
CPD is an ongoing process throughout our working lives - a process that we have to take ownership of ourselves. CPD enables more effective workplace performance and professional competence by enabling a better understanding of the environment in which you work, the job you do and changes and developments that could enable you to do it better.
Legislative, social and economic developments directly affect the environment in which we live and work; technological advances provide radically different ways of working. CPD provides opportunties to keep abreast of these changes, broaden skills and be as effective as possible at work. In many professions, there are compulsory hours of CPD required and we work with academic colleagues within those areas to pull together an offer that addresses this need. This area of the website will be developed over the coming months.
CPD fulfils many purposes:
- Addressing the requirement by professional bodies to maintain professional status
- Meeting an individual's personal ambition to be a better practitioner
- Enhance career prospects
- Promote confidence in one's role and make it more personally fulfilling
- Be a route to higher qualifications or enhanced job prospects.
- Be part of meeting targets set by workforce performance management schemes
- An opportunity for individuals to change their career paths.
CPD can facilitate access to specialised structured training, help to review working practices and contribute to a more effective and profitable business. Indeed engaging staff in CPD activities can be invigorating for individuals and the business alike.